Does hosting affect the ranking of a website?

JennyJ

I was reading some blog posts about hosting and they said that hosting is important to the rankings of the website sometime.

Is this true and does the hosting have that much of an affect on how your website ranks in the search sites like Google?

vishwa

Web hosting Indirectly help you in SEO. A better web hosting company can give you good network uptime and your website load fastly. Google loves sites that are loading fastly. So, Web hosting is help you indirectly In Your SEO. However there are some other ranking factors, which will impact your site Rankings.

JennyJ

Web hosting Indirectly help you in SEO. A better web hosting company can give you good network uptime and your website load fastly. Google loves sites that are loading fastly. So, Web hosting is help you indirectly In Your SEO. However there are some other ranking factors, which will impact your site Rankings.
Then the faster my website loads and if it is not down then that will improve it's rank in Google?

Do the other search sites like fast loading websites too or is that just Google?

Dean

Vishwa gave you a great answer. Web hosting can help your SEO indirectly for many reasons but the main ones are usually uptime and the load times of your web pages.

If your website has a lot of downtime and is slow then when Google and the other search engines come to your site to crawl it they will learn of this and it can have a negative affect of the rankings of your website.

Having a good host that has great uptime and fast web servers that your website is on can give an SEO boost. It is usually only a slight one unless there is a drastic change one way or another in uptime and load speed.

Always try to use a good quality web host! :D

JennyJ

Vishwa gave you a great answer. Web hosting can help your SEO indirectly for many reasons but the main ones are usually uptime and the load times of your web pages.

If your website has a lot of downtime and is slow then when Google and the other search engines come to your site to crawl it they will learn of this and it can have a negative affect of the rankings of your website.

Having a good host that has great uptime and fast web servers that your website is on can give an SEO boost. It is usually only a slight one unless there is a drastic change one way or another in uptime and load speed.

Always try to use a good quality web host! :D
Why does Google have the load times and uptime of your hosting affect you and your website? Those are out of your control.

Traveler

If you have poor web hosting and your website loads slowly then it can hurt your rankings because google uses loading speed in the rankings.

Catherine1

Google loves sites that are loading fastly.
Then if you have a really fast loading website you can have your website be closer to the top of the search results just for that?

So your website will actually go farther down the search results just because of downtime? That doesn't seem like that should matter because the downtime is the web hosting company's fault usually.

vishwa

Then if you have a really fast loading website you can have your website be closer to the top of the search results just for that?
It is one of the thousands factors that help you to rank your site in Search Engines. Making your site faster does not mean that you rank it well in search engines. But it will help you in your site SEO.

Catherine1

It is one of the thousands factors that help you to rank your site in Search Engines. Making your site faster does not mean that you rank it well in search engines. But it will help you in your site SEO.
Thanks

Is there a list somewhere with all the factors that determine rankings?

ulterios

Based on my personal experience, web hosting can hurt you more than it can help you. Meaning that if you go from a good web host to a bad web host you will see more of a negative affect than you will see going from a bad web host to a good web host.

Don't get me wrong, both ways will have some kind of affect but when you are with a good web host and move to a bad web host you will usually see a bigger drop in rankings and traffic than you will going the other way.

That being said, always avoid the bad web hosts at all costs. I learned that from experience like many other people.

HostXNow

As long as Google get some response from your website within a reasonable time of say 1-10 seconds (but of course, the faster, the better), then I don't think it matters what server location, IP, or provider you use.

Of course, if your website keeps going down all the time then there's a chance of that affecting SERPs, but other than that I don't think it'd make much difference.

A lot of many different tests would need to be done to know the correct answer to that. Luckily, GoogleBot doesn't scan your site 24/7. It can go many hours/days (or even weeks if you've requested it) for GoogleBot to scan your site, and so that is a lot of time where downtime could happen, and GoogleBot would be none the wiser about it.

JennyJ

Based on my personal experience, web hosting can hurt you more than it can help you.

That being said, always avoid the bad web hosts at all costs. I learned that from experience like many other people.
How do I know which web hosts are bad?

As long as Google get some response from your website within a reasonable time of say 1-10 seconds (but of course, the faster, the better), then I don't think it matters what server location, IP, or provider you use.
How can I tell how long my site takes to respond for Google?

ulterios

That's not easy to be able to do sometimes. You just have to try to find out as much information as you can on any host that you are considering to use.

You can search Google and sometimes find good information but not always. You can try to ask around or post a thread in forums like this one where there might be some previous customers or other people that might have good information.

You just don't want to trust most of the review websites because many of them are not unbiased and will write good reviews based on financial gain reasons.

You just have to try to find any reliable information that you can find and try to make an educated decision.

HostXNow

How can you request googlebot to scan your website at different times? Is longer better for your website?

You should be able to do that in Google Webmaster Tools and sitemap / htaccess files.

How can I tell how long my site takes to respond for Google?

You can check that in Google Webmaster tools and check sites like Pingdom Tools and network speed test within Google chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyJ

You just don't want to trust most of the review websites because many of them are not unbiased and will write good reviews based on financial gain reasons.
How do I know which are good and trustworthy? Would the ones in the top Google searches be good?

You can check that in Google Webmaster tools and check sites like Pingdom Tools and network speed test within Google chrome.
I checked in Pingdon as you suggested and it's loading in times between 2.20 and 2.56 seconds with 3 tests in that range. Is that an acceptable time?

adamjericos

I was reading some blog posts about hosting and they said that hosting is important to the rankings of the website sometime.

Is this true and does the hosting have that much of an affect on how your website ranks in the search sites like Google?

Yes it does. You need to have hosting provider that does not compromise on speed. A fast host gives your website a boost in Google.

JennyJ

Yes it does. You need to have hosting provider that does not compromise on speed. A fast host gives your website a boost in Google.
How do I know which web hosts are fast? Is there a way to test their web hosting service to see how fast it actually is?

Storm

If you have junk web hosting that is down a lot when Google and the other search sites send their bots to crawl your site then that can hurt your rankings.

If you have hosting that is very slow it can also hurt your rankings.