Do you need a contract when hiring a writer?

robertdn

What are the hiring terms and conditions should you arrive at between you and your content's writer?

Do you require a written contract?

Please share your thought

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanCee

In my experience, two basic means are applicable when engaging a writer to work for you.

Below are the two engagement conditions:
- If you are hiring using a one on one arrangement, both you and the writer will have conditions which are best met with a mutually agreed contract.
- If you are hiring a writer through a professional online freelancer site such as iwriter, the writer have already been engaged and terms and conditions of working and payment sorted out by the site. All you have to do is give the assignment and make a deposit with the site and if the job is done as you require, payment is made to the writer.
Most working relationships are derived from and are variations of these two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we had better have the term and condition about security. You must ask them to pledge the content they make for you.

KeralMTG

You do not need to have one most times but it will be better. I have friends that do writing services and they use contracts some times but not always. They say that if people will cheat you then you can not do much about it if they live in different places. It is better if you can have one I think.

Maria Marketing

I don't know that a contract will do you any good if the 2 parties are in different countries and especially if the amounts of the contract are so low.

Whilst I understand the need to cover yourself, if something goes wrong then what are you to do even if you have a contract?

Maybe I just over think too much! :)

Dean

I don't know that a contract will do you any good if the 2 parties are in different countries and especially if the amounts of the contract are so low.
Good point Maria! Usually the price of the writing service wouldn't justify taking any legal action anyway.

I would just try to use a trusted source for a writing service if I was to use one. If you are having doubts about woring with someone or some company then just find another, there are so many out there to choose from that you should be able to find one that seems trustworthy.

Cheers, Dean

ulterios

If you are paying a lot of money upfront then I guess a contract won't hurt but I doubt it will offer much protection if the writer or writing company decides to rip you off. Most of the time when you hire a writer you just have to trust them because if they really want to steal your money, they will. This is especially true if they do not live in the same country as you.

Try to make payments by Paypal if possible as that can give at least some level of protection.