Disc Drive...Do you?

Do you still use your disc drive?

• Total voters

Hostlumina

I was replying to another threat in regards a laptop or tablet....

Something that came to mind was that I noticed some laptops are starting to drop the Optical drive (DVD drive) forcing the end user to rely on the hard drive and USB drives.

What are you thoughts on the Disc Drive? Has the time come for its end? and do you still use yours at all?

Personally, I haven't touched mine for over 2 years. All software that I have bought has come in a "card" with its code for the download.

I threw in a poll just for fun also. :)

RDO Servers

With the broadband speeds these days, having to download a program or even an entire OS is no big deal at all. WHy generate all of the waste/trash for the disks and their packaging. Then you having to hold on to the collection of program DVD in case you need to reinstall later. Personally, I'm glad things have gone that way.

My laptop has a DVD-RW, but I dont know when I used it last. It's been a while for sure!

My desktop have a couple DVD drives, but this is used for video editing, not so much for program installs.

Elkins

I'm using DVD drive on my PC case, It is useful to install some software in urgent cases.

I thought I didn't need it but when my PC got error, I must buy a DVD to install some software from CD or DVD

RDO Servers

I have found myself now searching for a small (2 - 6 bay) NAS to minimize thumb & external drives.

Fully agree with RDO, a lot less garbage. Not needed with today's technology.

I have a 10 port USB hub run to a cabinet beside my desk. Here I currently have 5 old 1TB hard drives plugged in for my extra storage.

Not the best or most high tech method, but it was all stuff I had laying around and it works!

Allenafaith

I rarely ever use mine anymore unless I really have to install something though a disk to be able to use something that I've bought and that is rarely ever. The last time I had to install something was when I bought a printer and I had to install something to be able to print things from my computer