Buying themes and plugins from other sources

Maria Marketing

I have received emails and contact form submissions from people that are recommending that I check some websites out to get themes and plugins for my Wordpress blog at big discounts. I went there and they are not the makers of the plugins and themes but they are selling them and saying that it is legal even though they are paid themes and plugins.

Are these websites legitimate and is it legal to buy the themes and plugins from a website that didn't produce them?

Has anyone done this?

vishwa

If its a marketplace where thousands of themes and plugins developers sell their products than it is ok to go with. The best best example is Themeforest. Otherwise buy themes and plugins from original vendor or developer.

Catherine1

I have seen a couple of websites that are selling the themes and plugins that they say are paid versions but if seems a little strange that they are selling paid versions of these for only a few dollars when the developers want 40, 50, 100 dollars or more.

I would be scared there is something wrong with them.

KeralMTG

If you get them from somewhere else then you need to make sure that there are no viruses or malware in them. I would be careful of this.

Dean

Themes and plugins that are released under the GPL license are able to be resold in most cases and those are probably the types of sites that you were seeing.

One problem with getting themes and plugins from these types of sellers is that you would need to know that they have not altered. edited or changed the code to mess with the functions of the theme or plugin.

Some sites have even been caught by putting backlinks to their sites in the items of done something else that can harm your site so you have to be very careful if you decide to get any from sources other than the developers.

Personally I would be afraid of damaging my sites in some way so it's not worth the risk. You would have to judge whether or not the site you get them from is trustworthy or not.

ulterios

Wherever you buy any themes or plugins you have to be sure that you trust them completely because you are trusting your website, it's security and many other factors.

Storm

If you trust the seller and the themes and plugins are originals and unaltered then you can if you want. Just make sure everything is legal and not some scam or something.

Marcos

when you are getting software from sources that you are not certain about then it might be better to avoid those sources. Software that is bad or has something not right can really hurt your website so you must trust the source of your softwares. If you do not then avoid them just to be safer.

Traveler

If the code has not been altered in any way or had anything added to it then it might be alright as long as you are sure that you can trust the seller. You have to be careful that nothing was changed or altered in the code of the themes and plugins from the original code.

Some of these places put a backlink back to their website without you knowing so it helps their SEO.

Smith-K

I have received emails and contact form submissions from people that are recommending that I check some websites out to get themes and plugins for my Wordpress blog at big discounts. I went there and they are not the makers of the plugins and themes but they are selling them and saying that it is legal even though they are paid themes and plugins.

Are these websites legitimate and is it legal to buy the themes and plugins from a website that didn't produce them?

Has anyone done this?

It is quite clear from the emails they are sending you that it is nothing but affiliate promotion. They are basically using their own affiliate links so when you end up purchasing via their link, they get a % commission for that. You can always lookup on Google search and find the original source of the product.

Maria Marketing

If the code has not been altered in any way or had anything added to it then it might be alright as long as you are sure that you can trust the seller. You have to be careful that nothing was changed or altered in the code of the themes and plugins from the original code.

Some of these places put a backlink back to their website without you knowing so it helps their SEO.
How would I know if the code has been altered?

It is quite clear from the emails they are sending you that it is nothing but affiliate promotion. They are basically using their own affiliate links so when you end up purchasing via their link, they get a % commission for that. You can always lookup on Google search and find the original source of the product.
I went to the websites without using links and the websites claim to have premium plugins at discount prices. I don't think they are the original makes. Should I just avoid these even if I do not use their links?

sam.hunt0710

Install the Theme / Plugin over your Local Server ( Wamp / Xampp ) .

Goto wp-config.php
Edit this code
Most of the time its false change it to true and save the file .
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

This will show if you are having any error in any code.

Check .htaccess file whether it is having any extra code in it .

Check for the file / folder permission it must be 755 or 644.

KeralMTG

I get these some times also with affiliate links for themeforrest and the mojo marketplace.

Ben

I think that I have got some of those same kinds of emails in the past. I checked on a couple of them and their site looked a little suspicious so I never went back. You have to trust where you are getting your plugins and themes so keep that in the back of your mind when thinking about buying these things.

Maria Marketing

I think that I have got some of those same kinds of emails in the past. I checked on a couple of them and their site looked a little suspicious so I never went back. You have to trust where you are getting your plugins and themes so keep that in the back of your mind when thinking about buying these things.
I decided not to buy anything on these sites for now. Some did look a little strange and kind of like a low quality website.

Ben

I decided not to buy anything on these sites for now. Some did look a little strange and kind of like a low quality website.
I am always on the cautious side myself because I have been ripped off before online. If something doesn't look or feel right then I don't buy.

Maria Marketing

I am always on the cautious side myself because I have been ripped off before online. If something doesn't look or feel right then I don't buy.
Part of why I did not want to buy anything is because the ones I looked at looked kind of cheap and not like a good quality website.

Ben

Part of why I did not want to buy anything is because the ones I looked at looked kind of cheap and not like a good quality website.
I know that you can't always judge a website by how it looks but if it looks a little cheap and they are wanting me to buy something from them then that cheap looking site might have me questioning if I want to buy from them.