Building my website?

Chas P. Gibson

I am planning to start a website of my own and I would like to know what CMS or software should I use to make my website for best performance?

PTTed

I am planning to start a website of my own and I would like to know what CMS or software should I use to make my website for best performance?
It depends on what type of website you want to run. Are you running an ecommerce website? A forum? A blog? - For the majority of situations you will probably discover that Wordpress is the easiest and fastest CMS to learn how to build a decent website on.

Rajiv Singhi

First of all make it fix about the website theme nature of website even what kind of functionality you want to use... Because For Ecommorce sites there are many online CMS who can help you to build ecommerce site like shopify, prestashop etc....

ProfMike

I have to agree with the above comments but you also need to decide if you want to write the site yourself or use a prepackaged CMS program. What do you want your site to say?

If it were up to me, I would write the CMS myself. That gives you much more control, much faster speed and you can add or subtract what ever you need to do to tweak the site. Of course that all depends on your skill level. If you have a good skill set it is always better to write your own system.

ulterios

I agree with ProfMike on this. There are many factors that you will need to consider before deciding on what route to take and what you should do as far as CMS.

The premade CMS systems have to cover many different needs so with those there is a lot of added features, code, bloat, etc., that not every user of that CMS will need. This is one thing that can slow down a site and affect it's performance. They are made as a "One size fits all" so they have to program in a lot of things that wouldn't be there with a custom CMS.

If possible, it would be better to write your own CMS. That way you are in control of what goes into the code and you won't be needing to add in a lot of useless things that your particular site doesn't need. This is kind of like race cars, they trim down things they don't need so that they are faster and perform better. Same goes for a CMS. If you don't need something in the code you simply don't code it in, thus making your site faster and perform better.

Obviously this isn't something everyone knows how to do, at least without some training, but if you do learn how to do this then it's the better choice in many cases.

Plus you get to be able to say "Hey, I built my site from scratch, myself!"

Dean

This would depend mostly on what type of website that you are building.

If you are building a forum then you will more than likely want to use something like Xenforo or vBulletin for a paid script or myBB of phpBB as a free forum script.

If you are wanting to create a blog then you would probably want to use Wordpress since it has so many different themes and plugins to extend the capabilities of the script.

If you are building an ecommerce website then Wordpress and Woocommerce would be a real good choice.

Of course if you know how to create your own CMS (of learn how) then that would be probably the best choice to give you the best options since you can write the script to fit your exact needs perfectly and also have it perform the best for your particular situation.

If all comes down to what type of website you are creating and what your skill level is to decide on what is best fro your exact needs and wants.

Cheers, Dean.