Best paid and free forum software?

dedica

What is the best free and paid forum software ?

Dean

This is something that would kind of come down to preferences and what you like, need and are comfortable using.

A couple of good free forum softwares that I would recommend (Based on actual use) are myBB and phpBB. I like myBB a little more personally.

As for paid I would go either vBulletin or Xenforo, and again this one would be based on preference. Xenforo is what this site is running on, FYI. Xenforo has a better pricing structure and is growing in popularity and use, so that's a good thing. Kind of like Wordpress, the more people that use it then the more development goes into the software. There are also lots of other developers out there creating good addons and themes for it.

It kind of comes down to preference. If you have any question about any of these in particular, I would be happy to help out if I can.

Cheers, Dean.

ulterios

What is the best free and paid forum software ?
I have used or owned several of them and here are my choices:

Best Free: myBB

Best Paid: XenForo

A lot of the decisions on what a person thinks is best are just personal preferences. The two above are my preferences. Each of the forum software types has loyal fans/users and I think a lot of it comes down to which particular features each person likes.

Personally I think that if someone was going to be starting a forum then they should do a lot of research to make sure that they make the best choice for their particular wants/needs. You don't want to build your forum with the wrong software and have to make costly changes or loose members later down the road! ;)