Benefits of a Dedicated IP Address?

I don't know what it is when I was reviewing a hosting package and I saw that

What are the benefits of a Dedicated IP Address? how to use it for my hosting?

At this point, with SNI capabilities there is no *real* reason to utilize a Dedicated IP Address, seeing as SSL is capable of full functionality on a Shared IP. ARIN has entered Stage 4 of IPv4 Depletion, in the coming year there will be no more IPv4 addresses left to be issued to ISPs. With this, more intense justification is needed to even get a Dedicated IP from most providers. 3 years ago SSL was a valid reason to get a Dedicated IP, most hosts won't issue a Dedicated IP to customers though for this reason anymore.

Hostlumina

The only true benefit aside from SSL (as Elixant mentioned) is that your IP would not be shared. Meaning that if the server IP(s) were to be blacklisted due to a malicious user (i.e spam) your site would not be affect.

Other than that the benefits has greatly decreased with technologies evolving in the hosting industry. SNI is a prime example which was one of the features way overdue for cPanel.

david smith

A dedicated IP address it permits access to the website whenever needed even when the DNS setting for the domain name is not altered. A dedicated IP increases the reliability of the email sender and is needed for the installation of SSL certificate on the website.

Ben

Years ago we used to get dedicated IP addresses to make sure that your site was on the IP address and there were no spam or other types of bad sites on the same IP. I don't think that makes any real difference todays because of many things that have changed but you can still use one to control which site or sites are on a given IP address.

Traveler

I read some things some months ago that said dedicated ip addresses were good for SEO. I am not sure if it is still true or not but maybe you can check and see if it is.